A few things about Nubia

My photo
I am a young, vibrant, African American single mother of two beautiful, bright kids (and i'm not saying that because they are mine). We are from New England and recently moved below the Mason-Dixon Line to VA, in order to escape the beastly Northeast winters. Allow me to give you some insight on this blog and how it came to pass. My personality is upbeat & friendly, a definite extrovert. I am a social butterfly, I enjoy spending time with other people (could be because I am an only child? I doubt it). I actually enjoy spending time with others, entertaining my friends and trying out new places to eat and grabbing a drink. I have a insatiable passion for travel and the expertise of meeting and event planning. After spending much time thinking about my next steps, I decided to get back to blogging and start consulting. Why not do what I love! Right? Well, here I am and I am pleased you are hear reading over my adventures.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Thought I had escaped the maddness!!!!!

So, I've been in Northern, VA for a little over a year and moved here particularly to escape the madness of New England winters. WTH! It's been just as snowy, just as cold and unfortunately, the south does NOT know how to handle a couple of inches of snow! The other day, the weather man broad casted a little wintery mix. Well, to all of our surprise, we got hit with 8.2 inches of wet, heavy snowfall. I was at work thinking about 5 o'clock, hitting the gym, going home, relaxing, you know the typical thoughts. 3 o'clock rolls around and all of a sudden there are broadcast of a winter storm advisory. Thinking the snow may hit overnight, I continued on with my day. 4 o'clock rolls around and looking out of my office window, there is snow EVERYWHERE! Traffic backing up on the highway, etc... 5 o'clock couldn't come around fast enough. I forget about the gym and head to my car so I can get home and out of the snowy mess. Well to my surprise, I should have kept my ass at work and picked up some overtime!

It took me approximately 7 and a half hours, yeah, you heard me... 7 AND A HALF HOURS! to get home! Traffic was at a standstill! Cars were sliding all over the place. The snow was accumulating on the cars faster than you can imagine. I could only see out of my front windshield, snow covered the sides and back windows. People were abandoning their vehicles on the side of the highway, 18 wheeler trucks were trying to come on the exit ramps, only to get stuck. It was HORRIBLE! It literally took me 30 mins at a time to go 2-3 car lengths in front of me. I was tired, hungry, restless and irritable! All I wanted was to eat and to lay down. Thank goodness the kids were safe and with neighbors (in case your wondering).

The whole point is to say WTH! Can mother nature give us a break? Is God that angry with us that he has casted all of these natural disasters upon us to teach us a lesson? Over the past 10 years, there have been too many earthquakes, Tsunami's, heat waves, snow storms, rain storms to count. Killing hundred of thousands of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak ya mind...